Take a Deep Breath
The advice to “take a deep breath” is so common it’s cliché, but people have known for centuries that deep, slow breathing calms your nerves.
Some people find their inner calm through mindfulness meditation or a restorative yoga class. Others decompress with a vigorous run, or even hobbies like gardening, cooking or simply being in nature can be a helpful relaxation technique.
One stress-management technique that’s always with you when you need it is the simple, act of breathing.
Here’s how to do it:
- Inhale for a count of four.
- Hold for a count of four.
- Exhale for a count of four.
- Wait for a count of four.
- Repeat until you feel calm and centred again.